cooltext-title.png

 
 
 
You are here :   HOME » church history
Sentence to think about :   It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.   Sénèque
Preview  Print...  Print this page...
Preview  Print...  Print this section...
Search
Calendar
Make a donation

Visits

 554556 visitors

 10 visitors online

rss This article is available in the standard RSS format for publication on your website :
http://association-egliseboisstemarie.org/data/en-articles.xml

The church burned by the Protestants, threatening ruin.

A pious priest of Bois-Sainte-Marie, Jacques Alacoque, brother of the Blessed Visitandine, moved by the miserable appearance of his church, his grievances to the bishop of Autun. A report of the state of the monument erected December 25, 1678, proved that his complaints were justified. "The bottom side of the north, said the document is empty and uninhabitable in some places, without form of cover by the rain, snow and wind have free passage through the whole church, especially on the stone of holy water and the baptismal font, so that during the winter, it is impossible to make holy water and baptized. " The call of the good priest was not heard.

In 1733, the tower is covered to nine.

August 24, 1756, lightning struck the eastern gable of the church tower. The choir vault is pierced in five places. Stained glass windows are broken.

Large decimators charged under the law in force in the seventeenth century repairs and cancel the choir had learned to get rid of the task incumbent upon them with regard to places of worship, and the summations of episcopal authority reached Point to overcome their resistance. In the middle of the nineteenth century it was in a terrible state: the vaults collapsed, the north wall of the building stands out and looks outward, the ambulatory is inaccessible. The demolition seems inevitable.

Around 1845, a first attempt was made to the Administration of Fine Arts to seek the classification of the old building as historical monuments.

An inspector was assigned to the architect Bois-Sainte-Marie, he replied by saying that the project of restoration seemed impractical because of the considerable expense it would entail. Fortunately, a generous person, Ms. Louis-Alphonse Rocca, born Marie-Louise Antoinette de Rambuteau, who combined a very bright artistry inexhaustible liberality, then interested in the monument and its conservation. The ranking was decided and a clever architect, Mr. Millet, inspector of historic monuments, was commissioned to conduct the restoration work that was begun in 1849 and completed in 1854.

The expenditure amounted to the sum of 81,000 francs of which 49 000 have been allocated by the State, 22,000 francs given by Ms Rocca and 10,000 francs left in the charge of people who have paid contributions to this average benefits.


Creation date : 15/02/2016 : 12:57
Category : Menu -
Page read 9888 times
Previous  
  Next


Reactions to this article

Nobody gave a comment yet.
Be the first to do so!

 
Newsletter
To receive news about this website, consider subscribing to our Newsletter.
Captcha reload
copy the code :
2 Subscribers
You are here :   HOME » church history
 
Preview  Print...  Print this page...
Preview  Print...  Print this section...