cooltext-title.png

 
 
 
You are here :   HOME » History of Bois Sainte Marie
Sentence to think about :   Travelling here is find a hill after each new novel steeple. You have to push the doors open to these little treasures and discover their wealth!   Raoul Glaber
Preview  Print...  Print this page...
Preview  Print...  Print this section...
Search
Calendar
Make a donation

Visits

 610436 visitors

 28 visitors online

rss This article is available in the standard RSS format for publication on your website :
http://association-egliseboisstemarie.org/data/en-articles.xml

vue_bsm012.jpg

Its territory was crossed by an antique road going from Cluny to Vigousset (via regia). The number of inhabitants would have increased in 1181 by the emigrated of the place of DUN then completely destroyed by Philippe-Auguste. The Mâcon's Count made it return justice and beat currency. In this time, Bois Sainte Marie is a strengthened village.Formerly named SANCTA-MARIA BOSCO, indicating that the town was located in the woods. It appears the first time in 998 in the text of a charter of the cartulary of Cluny, but nothing indicates that it depended on the abbey.
Its territory was crossed by an ancient road from Cluny Vigousset (via regia) Current .L'église probably never was the sanctuary of the Benedictines, because according Courtépée the priory was built halfway up, while the church occupies the top of the mound that serves as the base village. The small priory was destroyed by the Calvinists who ravaged the Bois Ste Marie 1567.Une another presumption in favor of this view is the testament of noble lady Marotte Leduc, Bartholomew woman from Piremont of 13 November 1453. A copy of this act is transcribed on the parish register brings us full information about the church. At that time, it was served by a number of secular clergy. Furthermore, its vast proportions are easily explained to a church devoted to servicing a populous parish and not for a chapel of the Benedictine of minimal importance. But in Roman times, the city of Bois Ste Marie, well defended by walls pierced by three doors, home to a fairly large population. This was the same time that Macon that the counts of the name coined money and if we are to believe the tradition and the anonymous columnist who became the historian of the King Dun, the number of people would have been significantly increased in 1181 by emigrants from the Place de Dun then razed by Philip Augustus.
It seems likely that the building of the church Wood was brought by a clean thing condition to quite a number of small towns built around a convent school. Monks first served communal population in the chapel of the convent; the latter becoming insufficient, the people rose a church whose first entrusted to religious services and to chaplains delegated by them, then passed into the hands of secular clergy.
In 1239 Wood ste Marie enter the royal possessions, in Saint Louis. Fortune Wood ste Marie came in part from its fairs and peasant demonstrations, fueled by its position at the crossroads of important routes.
Le Bois Ste Marie was sorely tried by the devastations of Armagnac in 1420 and Huguenots in 1567. As a result of these fatal events, the town saw its decline worsen by the day, and after the seat of an archpriest, a mint, a royal lordship, a provost and finally the beginning of the nineteenth century, a capital of canton, is no longer that a humble village, having preserved his church as a witness of a former prosperity.

In 1239 Bois Sainte Marie will enter the royal possessions under Saint Louis. The fortune of Bois Sainte Marie came partially from fairs and peasant demonstrations fed by its position to the crossroad of important ways. The wars destroyed several times the village, in 1420 by Armagnacs and in 1567 by the Huguenots.

Following these disastrous events the town saw its decline becoming more marked in the daytime in days, and aprés to have been the seat of an archipriest, of a hotel of currencies, of a patoral royal, of a provostship and finally at the beginning of the XIXth century, of a leader place of canton. It's no more than humble one village, having kept only its church as witness of an ancient prosperity.

Glossary

charter

Law, fundamental rule

secular

Said of a priest who does not belong to any religious order or institute.


Creation date : 15/02/2016 : 13:48
Category : Menu -
Page read 12077 times
Previous  
  Next


Reactions to this article

Nobody gave a comment yet.
Be the first to do so!

 
Newsletter
To receive news about this website, consider subscribing to our Newsletter.
Captcha reload
copy the code :
3 Subscribers
You are here :   HOME » History of Bois Sainte Marie
 
Preview  Print...  Print this page...
Preview  Print...  Print this section...